Thursday, April 21, 2016

Ocean Project Blog


Summary: 
  • This week we worked on a project that was supposed to locate messages in a bottle. And we had to make a story of how the bottle came to the ocean and a worksheet of which currents took the bottle to its place. I learned that there are many many many different types of current. I thought there was only 3 or 6.  I also learned that a gyre is created by the rotation of the earth and the wind. I also knew that winds creates currents.
Backward-Looking:
I knew that the ocean water is very salty and that its undrinkable. And that currents are created by the wind. But in class we got taught some new things. I knew what a whirlpool was. But I never knew there was a thing called a gyre which is a spinning pool of water thats created by the rotation of the earth and the wind. A gyre is NOT a whirlpool. Whatever goes into a gyre never comes out. The gyre keeps all the trash inside the little spinning pool of water. The spinning chaos keeps trashing inside the trash pile. Theres also something called The Great Garbage Patch, there are actually two of them. The Garbage Patch is described as a trash vortex. The patch actually started out as a gyre, then it became bigger and accumulating more trash. There are two famous patches because they are the biggest ones. There are smaller ones know as gyres but these are the most popular gyre's.
Inward-Looking:
I like my work because we had to make a map and I really like drawing maps. And I think my map was really good. And we had to make a story also and I think I made a good story also. But one thing about my story was that there wasn't much dialogue at all. And I felt like I should have added some more dialogue. I enjoyed the story part where you could make up a story because it lets us choose how the bottle got into the ocean. Theres no instructions and no limit. This means no rules! You can write what you want! This is something I liked about the project in lots of detail.
Outward-Looking:
I would give myself an A, because I put lots of effort into it. I followed the directions and I tried my best. And I feel like my work is exceptional because I used what I was supposed to and I worked with other people to make sure my work was fine. The lowest I could get is an A- because my story doesn't have much dialogue and it's not that fun to read. I think its like that because I started my story a tad bit later than everyone else so I had to quickly put together a story both including the way the bottle got to where it is and while teaching the reader about oceans. 
Forward-Looking:
I would change my story because like I said I felt like I needed to add more dialogue. Because most of my story was just narrating! And I feel like I should have done a little bit more dialogue and make my story a little more interesting. But I would mostly focus on the dialogue part because the reader needs to experience whats going on in the story through dialogue. The reader can't experience the full effect through just narration they have to experience it through dialogue also.

No comments:

Post a Comment